The Telecommunications Department has an opportunity for a Telecom Operator; candidates who can handle a high stress and fast pace environment are encouraged to submit an application.
The Telecom Operator is part of the 24 hour Communications Centre and as front line staff: receives internal and external emergency calls, initiates emergency response (such as codes), pages a variety of hospital services, operate a computerized telephone console and / or public address system, as well as a variety of communications hardware and software and administrative duties as assigned. While Telecom Operators are assigned a primary schedule and a home location, each Operator will undergo cross-training to work as required at all hospital locations (Currently: Bayview and Holland Centre). Due to the nature of the business, operators shall work with the expectation of scheduling changes, re-deployment as well as additional work assignment as deemed necessary to provide emergency coverage in a 24/7 shift environment. Upon selection, candidate must successfully complete comprehensive training. Training consists of an intensive hands-on component with a trainer. Trainees will receive regular goal setting and performance evaluations identifying their progress during their work experience. Training for this role is conducted during normal business hours, Monday – Friday. Successful applicants will assume the assigned shift upon successful completion of training. The high stress focus requires intense concentration at a rapid pace for extended periods of time. There will be exposure to difficult situations and tragic incidents. The ability to adjust from a life and death emergency to a routine inquiry, while still treating all callers with the same level of professionalism and respect, takes discipline. Every call must be dealt with as if it is the most important call of the day. Sunnybrook’s Communications Operators are the vital link between stakeholders, patients and public. Our operators provide professional service when it matters most.
Summary of Duties:
Emergency Calls: Receive calls from the hospital’s emergency telephone network as well as external emergency services and determine which service is required and ensure calls for service are acted upon and/or transferred to the appropriate internal / external agency as guided by emergency response protocol. Internal Callers: Receive, prioritize and act on all calls for locating of Doctors, Nurses, specialized teams and services; ensure all necessary information is obtained; obtain and co-ordinate services of outside agencies (i.e. Critical, other hospitals, health professionals); be fully aware of support services and the means of alerting these services. External Callers: Answer calls spanning various skill sets (queues) for patient and general inquiry. Accurately conduct searches for patients and service in utmost confidentiality, provide general call screening, switchboard function and call re-direction as appropriate. Support Services: Monitor various alarms (site dependant) for security and safety, access and egress, vital systems, elevator panels, emergency signal (silent alarms); and take appropriate action; be aware of and report any malfunction in the system, provide pager support for pager users (trouble shooting, battery changes, loaner-pagers) answer general questions (by telephone / at counter) as they relate to communications and assist with training of new Communications Operators.
- Minimum Education: Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12).
- Preferred Post-Secondary: Related education in: emergency telecommunications, public administration, health sciences or health informatics are considered an asset.
- Must be confidential and tactful in the access and use of highly sensitive medical information.
- Must be able to communicate information in clear manner during life-threatening situations.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate active listening skills
- Must be able to control personal emotions and make appropriate decisions in dynamic, fast-paced, stressful environment; and
- Must work in a team environment while dealing with diversity and conflict resolution.
- Must demonstrate verbal and non-verbal communication at all times.
- Must be able to handle device requests, new/replacement, set up.
- Must be able to respond to ticketing system queries as assigned
- Must be able to handle all communication requests, regardless of medium in a professional and mature way.
- Must be a canny problem solver who is able to resolve any disputes that arise and utilize the escalation process as defined by Management.
- Maintain overall office tidiness and personal workspace at all times
- Must possess administrative acumen to undertake other reasonable duties and projects as assigned.
- Must undertake other communications related duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must not have been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted
- Must have an overall typing competency: 40 words per minutes or net 106 keystrokes per minute.
- Must possess intermediate to advanced experience in the operation of CRM computer software or applications
- Must be able to operate various software application including: computerized soft telephone, various internal databases, electronic mail and web based applications.
- Must be able to adapt to use of new technology when implemented.
- Must have moderate technical aptitude to initiate technical support requests.
- Must have the ability to transmit messages through various mediums. (system, telephone, pager, device, overhead, etc.)
- Flexibility; campus coverage subject to change based on operational needs.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
To apply, please click "Apply for Position" at the bottom of this page.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.