The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the management of the Yukon Conservation Society, under the direction of the YCS Board of Directors. The ED leads the YCS team of staff, contractors and volunteers to ensure that YCS's mandate is effectively represented on a broad range of environmental issues. The ED ensures the financial health of the organization through fundraising and grant development. The ED strives to build positive relations between YCS and First Nations and other levels of government, Yukon communities, and other organizations and agencies. Overall, the ED’s focus is one of strategic coordination, public communication and organizational management.
This challenging position has many rewards, including the opportunity to work within a supportive, closely-knit community, and live in the midst of breathtaking nature, while enjoying all the amenities of the small capital city of Whitehorse.
Hours: This is a full-time position (35 – 40 hours per week)
Wages: $32 to $40 per hour depending on experience
Apply by: July 3, 2020
Start Date: September 1, 2020
Please submit cover letter and resume to
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Major Functions
a) Supervise staff, volunteers and contractors (25% of time)
· Recruit and hire qualified contract or project staff
· Provide direction to staff, contractors and volunteers
· Conduct annual performance reviews of staff
· Hold regular staff meetings
· Supervise the development of staff, contractor and volunteer work plans
· Identify and access training opportunities for YCS staff
b) Ensure organizational health (finance and management) (25% of time)
· With the fundraising committee, engage in fundraising including preparing proposals and reports
· Build and maintain relationships with donors, YCS members, foundations and relevant government agencies
· Work with the YCS Financial Manager to develop the annual budget and monitor the financial health of the organization. Ensure monthly financial reporting to YCS Board
· Ensure an annual direct mail campaign occurs and other fundraising activities are undertaken as necessary
· Develop, plan and manage projects that further YCS goals
· Monitor adherence to charitable status requirements
c) Ensure YCS perspectives are effectively represented (15% of time)
· Provide strategic direction for the organization and campaigns
· Provide strategic direction for media relations
· Participate in advisory committees and consultation initiatives, or work with staff, contractors, and volunteers who participate in these committees and initiatives
· Work with the Board, staff and volunteers to develop YCS positions on issues
· Undertake government relations on key YCS issues, with volunteer and staff assistance
· Keep informed on current Yukon environmental issues
2. Other Principal Activities
a) Build relations with communities, First Nations and other governments (15% of time)
· Communicate YCS's goals and mandate to Yukon communities, and First Nations and other levels of government
· Ensure YCS information and resources are circulated to First Nation offices as relevant
· Seek opportunities to develop partnerships with First Nations and community organizations
· Network with other ENGOs in the Yukon, national and international community
b) Facilitate public communications (10% of time)
· Ensure education on key YCS issues occurs: this includes providing direction on newsletter content, writing articles, and filling requests for speakers or talks (e.g. for schools or events) when possible
· Work with volunteers and staff on communications to ensure a consistent representation of the organization and its positions. Develop and maintain communications plans for organization and programs
· Work to ensure appropriate people represent YCS in public
c) Work with Board of Directors and volunteers (10% of time)
· Attend Board meetings and provide information to the Board
· Keep volunteers and Board members informed of YCS issues and activities
· Work with volunteers and staff to maintain existing, and to develop new, YCS issue committees
· Collaborate with the board of directors to develop a strategic plan and vision for the YCS
· Seek opportunities to build organizational capacity
· Ensure board is updated on staff activities
3. Other tasks that fall to this position as required
· Attend conferences, workshops, meetings and training in and outside of the territory
Note: Percent times for each activity are an estimate and are subject to change based on circumstances.
Freedom to Act
The ED has the freedom to act within the direction and boundaries set by the YCS Constitution and Mission Statement, and the goals, positions and priorities identified by the YCS Board of Directors. Ideally, the ED would work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to establish strategic priorities.
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board for the financial health of the organization. Spending is authorized as outlined in the approved annual budget. Major amendments to the budget or expenditures outside of the budget must be authorized by the YCS Board.
You must to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
Upload Resume (optional)
Upload your resume or any other relevant file. Max. file size: 8 MB.
Are you human?
You can apply to this job and others using your online resume. Click the link below to submit your online resume and email your application to this employer.