Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team - We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 5,000 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us.
This is an exciting time to join our LifeLabs team, grow your career with us and support numerous business initiatives, innovations, best
practice and business development opportunities.
As the Clinical Biochemist you will analyze and interpret data related to patients' samples to assist with the investigation, diagnosis and monitoring of diseases. The Clinical Biochemist will also develop new assays; interpret validation data; advise clinical staff and play a role in managing clinical chemistry analytical services.
This is a full time permanent role and is located at 3680 Gilmore Way, Burnaby.
- Monitor complex biochemical analyses on specimens of body fluids and tissues, using advanced technology and automation
- Participate in shared medical scientific service work in all LifeLabs ON Clinical Chemistry laboratories
- Collaborate with Medical, Operational, and Quality and Regulatory affairs staff to ensure standardization and quality improvement in all Clinical Chemistry laboratories
- Maintain high standards through auditing performance in external quality assurance programs and identifying root causes and corrective actions for unacceptable analytical performance
- Provide assistance in maintaining accreditation standards of OLA and CAP and accreditation readiness
- Provide leadership in the identification, evaluation and implementation of new tests and technologies
- Provide support for other groups, including Business Development, in the implementation of new or improved analytical procedures, technology selection and capital equipment purchases
- Provide timely consultations for requesting physicians concerning the interpretation of test results and appropriate additional testing; respond in a timely manner to items raised through the CEM process.
- Continually build expertise and provide leadership in selected area(s) of testing
- Design and assess instrument evaluations and test validations
- Provide leadership and advice related to the implementation of new or revised test guidelines and protocols
- Support ongoing staff training and competency programs and help improve these activities
- Provide educational seminars to LifeLabs staff
- Attend and contribute to local and national scientific meetings and conferences
- Participate in internal and external committees, and professional Societies and Associations as appropriate
- Maintain professional development through a personal Continuing Medical Education program to comply with professional standards for Fellowship to CACB and others bodies and for licensing requirements
- PhD or MD with certification in Clinical Biochemistry from the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Clinical Biochemist in a multi-disciplinary laboratory preferred
- Experience in Mass Spectrometry is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Common-sense approach to problem solving
- Leadership skills and ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Project management capabilities and planning skills would be an asset