For internal candidates, note that the grade level of the position will depend on the employee's experience. Job Summary
The role of Specialist System Design is responsible for the production of detailed functional design for solution subsystem components, whether based on a packaged solution or on custom development. This involves working with product management, architecture and end users to understand the End-to-End architecture and requirements and flesh out a detailed system design for the specific component or area of expertise.
The Specialist System Designer will work with the team during development, testing, and integration stages of the solution.
The immediate position is to work on the design of the CN Autonomous Track and Automated Train Inspection programs. Main Responsibilities System Design
- Analyze sub-system component issues and/or business requirements to design effective, high-availability, business-critical solutions
- Transpose high-level proposed architecture into subsystem designs that will meet all functional and non-functional requirements
- Follow standard and best practices to ensure the systems design is maintainable, sustainable and properly documented with all the associated IP constructs
- Follow standards and best practices to ensure reliability, safety and cybersecurity standards are imbedded in the design of the sub systems
- Work with expert system designer to adopt and enforce System Design best practices
- Understand rail subsystems architecture in order to develop specifications on technical design aspects (hardware & software integration)
- Design and propose enhancements and modifications to the subsystem architecture
- When called upon, will be required to work with FRA and CN personnel in the various regulatory inspections to ensure all requirements are properly designed
- Work with the development team to ensure system design is fully understood and developed with high quality
- Identify deployment plan and support Q&A and integration engineers from a technical subsystem product owner perspective
- Work with quality leads, management, and QA to constantly monitor qual ity KPI’s and implement design improvements
- Perform root cause analysis to support development process
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. The role requires occasional travel in North America. Requirement Experience
- Minimum 5-10 year overall work experience
- Minimum 5-10 years of system design and integration of a complex solutions
- Bachelor's degree in degree in a Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities: must effectively communicate with technical and non-technical teams
- Good knowledge of System Engineering and Design Principles
- Ability to Analyze, Design and document detailed designs
- Proficient in documentation of complex concepts such as impact analysis, security models, performance and capacity planning, and strategic technical decision
- Participate in teams working in an Agile/Scrum or Waterfall process and ensure the stories/tasks are well defined and have all the information and tools to be successful
- Work with the Project Manager and project stakeholders to ensure we meet project commitments
- Ability to work independently on tasks and deliver with a high-level of quality
- Ability to learn quickly and to adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Fast thinker and always seeking continuous improvement in the delivery
- Fluency in English, both oral and written. Bilingual proficiency will be considered an asset
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward. We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America. CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.