An essential part of our evolution is creating value through data and becoming a data-informed enterprise where employees can apply their knowledge, draw insights and make the best possible decisions. Hiring specialists like yourself will help us implement our Advanced Analytics strategy and transform our business. It’s all about strengthening our future through digital technology, unleashing the full potential of our people, and creating an engaging and productive workplace.
Working as part of our Advanced Analytics (AA) team in our Transformation Management Office you will work across our organization to identify and apply advanced analytics practices including machine learning, deep learning techniques and artificial intelligence to transform the way we do business.
If you’re passionate about data, and thirsty for new approaches that provide insights into the most complex challenges through the architecting of data for advanced analytics, this role is for you!
Are you ready to help us solve problems we’ve never been able to address before? Join us and be part of transforming Suncor’s future!
You will use your expertise to:
- Act as a key contributing team member for advanced analytics products focused on analytics product and insight development and sustainment
- Design, create, test and implements models through algorithms that drive analytical products throughout the organization
- Apply Suncor Use Case Delivery Model and Suncor Model Management practices for analytics product development and operations
- Work with Data Engineers and SME’s to understand the raw data and/or create engineered features that improve model performance
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to deliver high-impact scalable and sustainable products in a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) approach through product releases
- Use data science techniques to find data patterns, anomalies, and optimization opportunities
- Provide expertise on mathematical concepts for the broader applied analytics team and inspire the adoption of advanced analytics and data science across the entire organization
- Interpret, translate and communicate analytical findings to business stakeholders through visualizations
- Identify and implement continuous improvement to standards, processes and techniques within the AA Centre of Excellence (CoE)
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Three to seven years of progressive experience in advanced analytics or a quantitative field
- A Bachelor or Master’s degree with a focus in data science, computer science, analytics, actuarial science, statistics, operations research, mathematics, data mining, economics or a related quantitative field (e.g. epidemiology/public health, geomatics)
- Proven proficiency developing analytics products in Python and/or R MATLAB or statistical analysis environments such as SPSS or SAS
- A deep understanding of predictive modeling and statistical concepts, machine learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms
- Strong communication, dynamic and critical thinking, and story-telling ability (through data) to influence and propose analytics strategies and solutions that challenge and expand the thinking of everyone around you
- Alignment with our
- Experience in mining, In Situ, refineries, cyber security, geology, and/or a corporate/functional business background
- Experience with unstructured data (e.g. image recognition, audio analytics, text mining)
- An accredited professional statistician (PStat)
- You will work out of our Calgary head office, located in the Suncor Energy Centre at 150 – 6th Ave S.W.
- This role can also be supported from one of our hub locations (e.g. Mississauga, Fort McMurray, Edmonton, Sarnia, Montreal)
- One of our values is curiosity and lifelong learning – we challenge the status quo and learn from and support each other to make the world a better place
- We are so invested in building advanced analytics skills within our organization that we've created the Analytics Academy to provide training to employees through instructor-led courses, e-learning, communities of practice, etc.
Supporting our people. Caring for our communities. Living our purpose.
With our operations declared an essential service, we are continuing to operate and are looking to fill business-critical roles at this time. We require qualified and safety-focused employees to help keep things running. In terms of our current recruitment process, we’re doing things a bit differently to adjust to our new ‘normal.’ We are using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and we are well set up for remote onboarding and orientation.
We are bolstered by the unity across our community and the solidarity across the world. We continue to encourage you to support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygience practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you. For more information on how we’re responding to COVID-19, click . #StrongerTogether
We are Canada's leading integrated energy company with a that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – if it isn't safe, we don't do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on mean tremendous potential for the future.
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
- Follow us on
to see our progress on a number of environmental, social and economic topics and what we’re doing to position our company for the future * Join our
and sign up to receive customized job alerts * Read our
to see what we’re doing in the communities we live and work in
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request. Check out our to learn how we are working to build greater mutual trust and respect with the Indigenous Peoples in Canada.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so don't delay, apply now.